About Me

My photo
Native Californian, biologist, wildlife conservation consultant, retired Smithsonian scientist, father of two daughters, grandfather of four. INTJ. Believes nature is infinitely more interesting than shopping malls. Born 100 years too late.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Richard's bird box monitor


It's one thing to have a pair of oak titmice move into your bird box.

It's another thing to sit in your TV room and witness the events going on inside the box.

A couple years ago I gave neighbor Richard a bird box, and this spring he equipped it with a cheap security cam wired it to an old black and white TV monitor.

He's been bearing witness to the timeless but fleeting drama of avian growth and development.

Today I stopped by to see for myself.

One of the chicks was flapping and climbing over its siblings, and I observed that "fledging is just around the corner".

"Then I've got to catch that stray cat soon."

"You betcha". Fledglings are delectable morsels to cats, but one hardly makes a meal.

Richard says that there's a frenzy of feeding just before sundown.

Mom and dad come and go, and the chicks gobble moths, poop and grow.

As a distraction to the boob tube, my neighbor prefers the bird box to commercials.


2 comments:

Henry said...

This looks like a great idea. I would love to give something like this a try someday.
I never saw the point of buying a TV before, but now I might be convinced to get one. Unless I can hook the security camera up to an old computer instead...

Camera Trap Codger said...

I want to get a similar set up in one of my owl boxes, but I've been too lazy to go see if they have even been used.