About Me

My photo
Native Californian, biologist, wildlife conservation consultant, retired Smithsonian scientist, father of two daughters, grandfather of 4 small primates. INTJ. Believes nature is infinitely more interesting than shopping malls. Born 100 years too late.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Elephant examines camera trap

Thanks to wildlife photographer Bruce Kekule for sending me the link to this interesting footage of a teenage tusker reacting to a trail camera.

After its initial back-stepping hesitation (Whoa, what the..?") it satisfies its curiosity with trunk and foot.

Bruce warned me about those puny camera mounts made of sticks I wrote about the other day.

He said they wouldn't last long with elephants in Thailand.

I assured him that the cams in the Rakhine Yoma are now chained to trees and sporting metal protectors.

No comments: