About Me

My photo
Native Californian, biologist, wildlife conservation consultant, retired Smithsonian scientist, father of two daughters, grandfather of 4 small primates. INTJ. Believes nature is infinitely more interesting than shopping malls. Born 100 years too late.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sunrise showtl


Dawn chorus and showtl appears
in scattered light of frond and leaf
Through the firs sunlight breaks


As Codger followers by now realize, I am just back from a week at SF State University's Sierra Nevada Field Station, where images of showtls have moved me to feeble attempts at poetic expression. 

The class discovered their camera-trapping instructor was obsessed with the showtl, and if you don't know anything about mountain beavers, sewellels, showtls or Aplodontia rufa, read here.

And by the way, this image was the first attempt at showtl espionage by the ladies of the class.

I'd say they did pretty well. 

As I wind down and unpack, I'll be working up the images.

More on the workshop this week, and thanks to Carl for photoshopping this problematic image.

(Now I am off to the flume where I lost my glasses this afternoon.)

6 comments:

jason said...

I love that one.

Anonymous said...

Quite the spectacular photo for a trail camera image. I have never heard of the mountain beaver.

Marilyn

Owlman said...

Beautiful and a candidate for your book cover?

Shervin Hess et al said...

Spectacular

Kitt said...

Wow, I've never heard of those. Lovely capture.

And speaking of, check this out: Camera-Trapping Snow Leopards

Camera Trap Codger said...

Thanks troops, and thanks for the link, Kitt.