About Me

My photo
Native Californian, biologist, wildlife conservation consultant, retired Smithsonian scientist, father of two daughters, grandfather of 4 small primates. INTJ. Believes nature is infinitely more interesting than shopping malls. Born 100 years too late.

Thursday, March 5, 2009

The creeks are gushing


We're catching up on rainfall out here, but we're still short of the mark.



A somber state hydrologist on a Sacramento TV station  said we're still in a drought cycle. The reservoirs are filling slowly, because the land is still soaking up the water.



Today Fred and I visited three unnamed seasonal creeks that tumble down the slopes of Butte Creek Canyon. The water is crystal clear, even though the creeks are gushing.

And I was surprised to find newts breeding in such swift water. Most of these creeks dry up by June, but a few remain as pools fed by springs under the capstone.




Fred fell in out of concern when I stepped on onto a rock in midstream, but he's half lab and still smelled quite doggy when we got home.

It was a good day. I found two excellent sites to set camera traps in the coming weeks.

4 comments:

Bpaul said...

I found this post and I thought you would be really interested in it. Rare rhinos caught on video cams: http://blogs.discovery.com/news_animal/2009/03/worlds-most-endangered-large-mammal-captured-on-video.html

I enjoy the blog, I don't know how I found you (possibly Durham wildlife photography?), but glad to be here.

Bp

Camera Trap Codger said...

Thanks a lot for the URL. I envy that project, but you gotta be tough to work there.

cliff said...

Looks like home to me, great area for photos and hope to see some pictures before the creek dries. Looks steep on the left side of the creek for Ca country.

Clear water and moss, doesn't get any better than that. Been snowing here for the past several days and I'm trying to plant an early garden, finally moved all the plants into the house in pots.

cliff

Camera Trap Codger said...

Yes, this is pretty rugged country, and its thick with poison oak. Now's the time to explore. Got a report of a badger near the middle creek today.