About Me

My photo
Native Californian, biologist, wildlife conservation consultant, retired Smithsonian scientist, father of two daughters, grandfather of 4 small primates. INTJ. Believes nature is infinitely more interesting than shopping malls. Born 100 years too late.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Does the wild bear poop in bed?



We all know the wild bear poops in the woods, but does he poop in his bed?

I stumbled upon this old bear bed beside a large ponderosa pine in steep canyon country.

Ponderosa pines sometimes have a distinctive elevated berm of shed bark around the trunk, and disturbance of the zone is easy to see.

This tree had such a disturbance -- a clear round depression the size of small bear right next to the trunk.

Normally a bear bed looks like someone tried to dig a hole with a rototiller.




This bed wasn't fresh because it was covered with pine needles.

Fred wouldn't lie down in it, so I put my rucksack there for scale.

Cool enough. I was pleased with the find.

As I stepped away from it however, I exposed a well composted bear pie under the needles.



It seems the bear hung its hiney just over the rim of the bed, and therefore came close to committing the unforgivable -- pooping in bed.

4 comments:

Trailblazer said...

Great find!

Nothing like poop pics!

biobabbler said...

Wow. Now you're gonna have me staring at the ground looking for bear-y impressions. Cool!

Camera Trap Codger said...

Yes, you know you're in their space when you find a bear bed, but be sure to check if its warm and has fleas hopping in it. If so, its fresh.

owlman said...

This one made me laugh Chris and I'm picturing someone lying down in a depression to check the temperature.