About Me

My photo
Native Californian, biologist, wildlife conservation consultant, retired Smithsonian scientist, father of two daughters, grandfather of 4 small primates. INTJ. Believes nature is infinitely more interesting than shopping malls. Born 100 years too late.

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Two more den shoppers



There were other visitors to the bear den. The desert cottontail lingered in front of the den, and the white-throated wood rat was seen coming and going. This picture makes me wonder if the rat has a stick nest deep inside.



And I was wrong; at least one of the cubs went into the den, though we can't be sure it did any work to prepare it for the winter sleep.



The camera didn't go unnoticed either. The claws look short enough to be those of a cub. Knock on wood. We were lucky it was restrained in its examination of the camera.

1 comment:

Robert J Miller said...

Chris, awesome blog. I am officially a follower so I can learn how to photograph wildlife :). I thought you might enjoy my blog about Colorado trails.