About Me

My photo
Native Californian, biologist, wildlife conservation consultant, retired Smithsonian scientist, father of two daughters, grandfather of 4 small primates. INTJ. Believes nature is infinitely more interesting than shopping malls. Born 100 years too late.

Monday, November 1, 2010

How to solve the one-way road dilemma?

Oct. 8, 2010, 9:50 PM


Oct. 14, 2010, 1:42 AM


Oct. 18, 2010, 8:44 PM


I think it's the same cat, and it's ignoring the sign.

It seems to think it's on a one-way road.

How to get a head-on picture of this trespasser?

A) Turn the camera around.

B) Change the Posted Sign so it faces the opposite direction.

C) Urinate across the road to turn the cat back.

D) Move the road apples closer to the camera.

4 comments:

Henry said...

A) Been there, done that. Usually doesn't work.
B) Haven't worked with Posted Signs before... You might be onto something...
C) Have not tried using urine before... think I'll try the Posted Sign first :)
D) Have not tried that either.
E) Setup 4 cameras to cover all angles (up to 45 degrees).
F) Paint a fake camera on the back of the case/box to fool the cat (similar to the “eye spots“ used by some creatures).

Still, congrats getting a Puma three times in 10 days :)

Bay Laurel said...

That is interesting that the cat is going over the same ground that many times. It is late in the season, but I wonder if "she" could be going to kittens hidden nearby? Or a kill site, but 10 days is a long time?

Dan said...

I had the same thought as Henry: aim another camera in the opposite direction.

Congratulations on getting recurring photos of a big cat! I'm still waiting for my first bobcat photo.

KB said...

I had a similar cat or cats... So, I turned the camera around. Then, the next cat went the opposite direction. So, I added another camera so I had one faced each way. Got one great head-on photo. Then, someone stole my cameras... Lesson learned.