About Me

My photo
Native Californian, biologist, wildlife conservation consultant, retired Smithsonian scientist, father of two daughters, grandfather of four. INTJ. Believes nature is infinitely more interesting than shopping malls. Born 100 years too late.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Wiring the owl box



I just put it up and I doubt any self-respecting screech owl will move in.

Not in an owl box 40 feet from a house with a barking dog.

It's not like I had a lot of choices --  the power cord is only 60 feet long.






I attached the cam in the upper left corner of the box.

If anything uses it, I suspect it'll be a giant ninja attack squirrel.

So my challenge, besides getting up into the tree and hanging the thing, was protecting it.




I decided to shield the cam with quarter inch wire mesh, with a hole large enough for the camera's unobstructed view.

Unfortunately, a hole big enough for the camera is also big enough for a squirrel's head.


I asked the redhead to standby while I mounted it in the tree.

It was a bear getting it up there.

I strapped it on with bungie cords before bolting it in place.

"You're too old to be climbing trees", she remarked.

"You're right", I replied, "but try to you break my fall, okay?

No response.

"Hey, I'm not ready to be sitting in front of a TV tray with a comforter on my lap straining soup with my mustache."

"That may be", she said, "but don't expect me to break your fall."

3 comments:

Owlman said...

Woooow! How high did you mount the box? I feel you're pain - getting an owl box mounted in a tree by yourself is a tricky prospect. Luckily guys like us can pull it off without breaking........ ;-)

owlman said...

Hey Codger I've heard the same thing from my wife and finally have to agree with her.
Have you considered a climbing harness?

Scott said...

hardware hooks (one for the pulley eye and one on the box)a small pulley, and 1/4" clothesline rope.