About Me

My photo
Native Californian, biologist, wildlife conservation consultant, retired Smithsonian scientist, father of two daughters, grandfather of four. INTJ. Believes nature is infinitely more interesting than shopping malls. Born 100 years too late.

Thursday, October 17, 2024

Rocky Flying Squirrel takes on the Acorn Pecker Gang

 


Many years ago the late Robert T Orr told me he had trapped flying squirrels at Sonora Pass in the Sierra Nevada. "I was trying to trap martens," he said, "but I kept getting flying squirrels. They were attracted to the meat I was using as bait." [Dr Orr was the curator of birds and mammals at the California Academy of Sciences and I was a teenager who hung around the museum.] 

It is not uncommon for herbivores to deviate from their diet, especially when plant protein is low or pregnancy demands it. That's when innocent vegetarians like deer and rabbits shock us by dabbling in carnivory. 

Carnivory probably also explains why Acorn Woodpeckers raise hell when adorable big-eyed Northern Flying Squirrels show up at their nest cavities. The squirrels are known to feed on eggs and nestling birds. 

My goal to film acorn woodpeckers at their nest cavity was sidetracked when my trail camera recorded visiting flying squirrels. Rocky is such a photogenic charmer! I filmed "the pecker gang" for a year and a half on my neighbors' property, and eventually I recorded three hostile encounters with the inquisitive "Rocky". Such are the rewards of camera trapping! Have a look!

I am grateful to neighbors Ted and Judy -- the indulging hosts who made possible this little film and "Bruin Ate the Hornets' Nest".   


No comments: