About Me

My photo
Native Californian, biologist, wildlife conservation consultant, retired Smithsonian scientist, father of two daughters, grandfather of four. INTJ. Believes nature is infinitely more interesting than shopping malls. Born 100 years too late.

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Pool coon



The redhead awakened me at 5:30 yesterday to announce the visitors. There in the smoke was one big and two little raccoons peering intently into the swimming pool. (Whur's the fish?)

I set a camera last night , and shortly after sunset the redhead called from the living room saying the camera just flashed.

I switched on the outside lights, and there she was -- Ma Coon staring suspiciously at the camera across the pool. Obviously, this was her first experience with the electronic flash.

What you see above is the best I can offer -- "raccoon pondering the deep waters". I am afraid the poolside menu offers only backswimmers and soggy insects. Unfortunately, the kids were a little bashful -- no pics of them. My firefighting equipment (pump and hoses) is in the background.

(Hey! Calfire lifted the evacuation orders today, and I also finished the camera trapping manual.)

No comments: