About Me

My photo
Native Californian, biologist, wildlife conservation consultant, retired Smithsonian scientist, father of two daughters, grandfather of 4 small primates. INTJ. Believes nature is infinitely more interesting than shopping malls. Born 100 years too late.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Back from the ranch and smiling

Looking toward the Pacific from the high chaparral of the Chimineas, September 28, 2010 


I'm just back from the Chimineas where we re-set the cams in the sweaty embrace of the Indian Summer.

The last round of cam trapping yielded the usual cast of characters, or so I was told.

Buddy Craig broke the bad news by email before I arrived -- no new species records for the survey.

It was hard to believe, so I asked him specifically about two sets that I recalled were terribly promising.

No, not this time, he said.

But the depressing news was a ruse.

My youthful colleagues who had collected the cams late last week were thrilled with the findings and wanted to surprise the old codger in their presence.

When we gathered in the cook house Sunday afternoon they gave me a viewing of some pretty neat stuff.

You will start seeing the critters next week.

Meanwhile, go pick some berries and freeze them for the winter.

The days may be hot but they're getting shorter.

1 comment: